Life without peanut butter would be incredibly dull + grey. There once was a girl (not naming names) that was seriously addicted to a certain peanut butter recipe (that was conveniently written) on the back of a mainstream peanut butter jar. By the way, sorry if that reads like a riddle. Any guesses?!
The predictable addiction dates back to my college days (AKA stuff my face with carbs and sugar days). During my last year of school, I lived and worked in the same building as a girl named Kelly. Said girl was super witty, friendly, and used to bake; peanut butter cookies of all things. I thought the simple sugar, peanut butter and egg recipe from the peanut butter jar was sheer genius. Until my pants started getting tighter. That’s when it stopped being funny (or genius).
Looking back- people were quick to say: “Oh it’s the peanut butter because its high in fat”. But it wasn’t the peanut butter- it’s the hoards of white, refined sugar the recipe called for. So hello, healthy peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies! I decided to make you using unrefined, raw coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is lower in the glycemic index, which means it doesn’t send blood sugar levels spiking.
I also added a free run egg, a pinch of baking powder & folded in some dark, dairy-free chocolate chips. And just like that… am in total cookie heaven; without jeopardizing my jean size. Mind you; all sweets-even healthy ones I eat in moderation. I’ll have 2-3 cookies and call it a day. But they’re made with all REAL, 100% natural food ingredients. These are free of dairy, gluten or refined white sugar. Just how I like to eat.
Guys, this is SUCH an easy, fool-proof recipe. I made these cookies on snapchat the other day with my sweet Gracie as my helper. And, if I wasn’t snapping away (OR, making sure Gracie does not swipe all my chocolate chips) I would probably take 5 mins from one-bowl mixing to ready to go into the oven. So here they are! Enjoy them. Eat up. Perfect introductory bake for toddlers. Or hey, even for adults that are new to the kitchen. This is a great place to start in the realm of flourless baking & gluten-free living.
Flourless Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all-natural, creamy peanut butter (OR almond OR cashew butter)
- 3/4 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips ( I use Enjoy Life, dairy-free chips)
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract ( I love Madagascar vanilla!)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Turn the oven on to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl, mix the peanut butter, coconut sugar, egg & vanilla until smooth and well integrated.
- Add the baking soda & sea salt and give it a good, final stir.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Bake for 8-12 mins, all ovens vary. Mine only needed about 8 mins. Cool on a wire rack before eating so they can firm up a bit. Enjoy!!