Everything tastes better in a bowl. Am I right? There’s a je ne sais quoi about this build-your-own fierce fajita bowl that’s incredibly appealing. It’s easily customizable to your fave sides, repurposed leftovers will always be put to great use, and there’s a lot less mess than trying to fit this all into a tortilla. There’s just something very fulfilling about picking up spoonfuls of your favorite bowl components & plopping them straight into your mouth.
If you’re looking for an easy & healthy recipe for a quick and satisfying weeknight or weekend meal-I’ve got you. Here’s a shortcut to the best shredded chicken fajitas of your life! (And we don’t say this lightly..) The first step involves buying a rotisserie chicken or roasting your own. I like to buy a hormone-free beretta chicken because it’s just easy and they’re seasoned minimally. That’s the goal, because we’re going to further season this ourselves.
The second step involves using just half the chicken, we’ll be using chicken breasts- only. The third step is using the Veggie Bullet to shred the chicken, because it truly cuts your prep time by half. If you don’t have one yet, don’t panic-you could still enjoy this recipe and use a fork to shred the chicken breast meat, as I go on to explain.
So, are you guys ready? Because this easy seasoning & the combination of sautéed bell peppers, onions & tomato will have you coming back for seconds, every time. You may enjoy this with your choice of healthy complex carbs like brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice (which can also be made in the Veggie Bullet!) And, not to mention heaping sides of fresh black beans, sweet corn, salsa & a pickled red onion guac that’s always a winner.
Ultimate Chicken Fajita Bowl
For the Chicken
- 1/2 whole rotisserie chicken (chicken breasts, only)
- 2-3 bell sliced peppers, seeds & core removed
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp of tamari sauce (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of agave or raw honey
- 1 tbsp of water
For the Guac
- 6 large Hass avocados
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped cilantro (also known as coriander)
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 2-3 small jalapeño peppers (seeds removed)
- The day before you make this, finely chop the red onion for the guac into little squares and place it inside a tup or jar with a brine of white wine vinegar & a pinch of sea salt.
- First, we shred the chicken breasts in seconds thanks to the awesomeness that is the Veggie Bullet. With the unit powered off, switch to the shredder blade (make sure the side labeled “shred” is facing upward through the center spindle). Also, you want to make sure the shooter set is assembled (lid on) so that nothing goes flying around your kitchen before turning it on. Make sure there’s a bowl directly under the shooter dispenser; so it can catch the shredded chicken right away.
- If you don’t have a Veggie Bullet: use one hand to hold the chicken steady & the other to shred from the top down with a sturdy fork. If you opt for this method, you may be better of poaching chicken breasts (cooking them from scratch in boiling water, which will make them softer & manual shredding easier)
- Let’s get those veggies (onions, tomatoes & bell peppers) sliced & diced in record time using a Veggie Bullet! Using the slice blade (ensure the side labeled “slice” is facing upward through the center spindle) get em’ all sliced in seconds & ready for the warm skillet.
- Bring a non-stick or cast iron pan to medium-high heat & add the extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil) when it’s warm. Add the sliced onions, bell peppers & tomato. Season with sea salt & pepper to taste. When the onions are translucent and soft, it’s almost time to add the chicken.
- BUT first: in a small bowl: mix in the vinegar, tamari, paprika, water, cumin, chili powder,minced garlic, garlic salt & agave. Pour the spice paste mix over the shredded chicken bowl & toss for an even coating.
- Pour the seasoned chicken onto the pan with the sautéed veggies & reduce the heat. Cook together for about 5-8 minutes, stirring often.
- While everything cooks, I peel & core the avocados & mash them with a fork to get the guac going. I don’t do blender or food processor guac, I like it chunky with a bit of texture.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, the jalapeños, sea salt, pepper & lime. Lastly, stir in the pickled red onions. Garnish your guac with fresh cilantro & serve!
- ENJOY every bite! Serve with your favorite choice of sides.
By: Aleyda | The Dish On Healthy
This recipe was brought to you guys in partnership with my friends at Veggie Bullet.
All views expressed here are my own.