The first rule about this double chocolate loaf is: you do not talk about zucchini. The second rule about this double chocolate loaf is: you do not talk about zucchini. The third rule…
Case in point; if I didn’t actively announce there’s zucchini in the title of this decadent loaf you would never, ever know it. Not even suspect it, in the slightest. The truth is over 1 cup of grated/shredded zucchini was folded into the batter and is responsible for the amazingly moist texture that makes this loaf so appealing & dreamy for clean dessert lovers. And yep: it’s also gluten, dairy & refined-sugar free. Clean treats that don’t taste clean, that’s the ultimate goal of this little food blog. This loaf delivers on all of the above!
A few months ago, I publicly stated on this forum that I am a purist (and somewhat of a snob) when it comes to chocolate. I also implied I would never dare mix chocolate and vegetables. Well, I’ve broken that promise- and have no regrets.
But let me tell you, before arriving at zucchini I tried this loaf with black beans and then with beets. And.. nope. I didn’t feel they made the cut compared to zucchini. Zucchini wins, my friends. I also baked this loaf twice; the first time with coconut sugar & the second time with pure maple syrup. I’ll stick to maple. No pun intended.
I perfected this recipe while day dreaming about Christmas morning. I believe Christmas morning brunch fare doesn’t get enough love. Hence the underlying theme this month of December; from last week’s Buckwheat Gingerbread Pancakes to this week’s double chocolate loaf; you’re going to be filled with delicious brunch inspo. After you’re done opening presents or watching your kids open presents (or both, or neither) you can kick back in your favorite chair, with a mug of fresh coffee and a slice of this cake.
So give it a go, it’s an easy two bowl recipe (you kinda need a bow for the zucchini ) and a small bowl or mug to pre-mix the eggs and pure maple syrup because this loaf is naturally sweetened. And if you’re allergic to eggs, don’t worry. You can sub in flax eggs and this recipe will work beautifully, too.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 + 1/4 cups of all-purpose gluten free flour, spelt OR oat flour
- 1 + 1/4 cups of shredded zucchini
- 2 large eggs OR flaxseed eggs for vegan options*
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee (it really brings out the chocolate flavor)
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut or avocado oil for high heat (reads high smoke point)
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup (or agave or raw honey)
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chocolate chips of your choice
- some more chocolate chips to sprinkle the top before it goes into the oven
*per each egg: 1 tablespoon of flax seed to 3 tbsp of water, stir well and allow it to sit for 5 mins and thicken before adding them to the batter. I place them inside the fridge for that time, to speed up the thickening.
- Turn the oven on to 350 F and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sea salt, cacao powder, espresso powder, baking powder, & baking soda.
- In a smaller bowl whisk the 2 eggs with the pure maple syrup, add the splash of vanilla and oil. Whisk well.
- Incorporate wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl, whisking as you go.
- Fold in the grated zucchini and the chocolate chips. Zucchini tips: before adding it to the batter, I use a washcloth to squeeze/ ring out any excess water out.
- Pour batter onto the loaf pan and with the spatula, even out the surface.
- Bake for approximately 50-55 mins or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
By: Aleyda | The Dish On Healthy