Kale and I weren’t always on friendly terms. I still remember my first introduction to this amazing leafy green (with a well-publicized superfood reputation)… It came in the form of an overpriced drink at a well-known organic juice bar on the East end of the city. Simply put; it tasted like lawn, and smelled like it, too. Never again, I said to myself. There’s a myriad of other beneficial leafy greens and surely, other ways to consume them. It doesn’t have to be “kale”.
Until I tried kale again… this time in a salad, and I found it much more enjoyable the second time around. So much so, that I decided to give a homemade smoothie a go. I would pair it smartly with fruits that I really enjoy: mango, green apples, banana etc. I would hide kale and just reap the benefits.
The result was a tropical, creamy smoothie with no hint of kale- if not for it’s deep, vibrant green color. In the realm of green smoothies, this has become one of my favorites. Kale is the king of all leafy greens; few boast such a vast array of health benefits and dense nutritional content. Raw kale is loaded with antioxidants, fatty acids, protein, vitamin K, beta-carotene and it can even help lower cholesterol. I am going to rely on it quite heavily to help me complete my training runs for my first 10K this Fall. Am new to the world of running, but this smoothie is the perfect light breakfast; as running on a heavy meal is not advisable. So I run on green fuel, and this smoothie leaves me feeling content, energized and awake.
(Makes 1 large smoothie or 2 small ones) You will need:
- 2 cups of curly kale ( I find the texture in this type of kale dissolves more easily into smoothies)
- 1 cup of ripe mango chunks
- 1 green apple sliced and peeled
- 1 large frozen banana or two small ones cut into slices
- 1 cup of Almond/Cashew or Coconut Milk *Carrageenan Free
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil or Coconut Butter or Coconut Manna
- 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 1/2 teaspoon of bee pollen
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey or raw agave syrup, if a sweeter flavor is desired
This smoothie is the perfect balance of greens, fruit, protein and healthy fats. Blend on “high” until smooth and creamy. Best Served Cold! Enjoy!!!
* I always ensure to buy non-dairy milk that is carrageenan free. Some preliminary studies have linked carrageenan to cancer.